RE: Homemade Kwiklift

To: "'Derek'" <dereklola@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Homemade Kwiklift
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:27:11 -0500
I was planning on gluing then screwing the doubled planks, that is how the
ramps I saw were used.  They basically made the 4x12's.  I would like to see
the pictures of the frame.

I like the other ideas, but the best one is learn to weld.  None of the high
schools or Jr colleges with 25 mile teach welding, or I would take a class.
The closest I have found is, this which is eight 5 hour classes....
Basic Welding & Brazing For Artists & the Do-It-Yourselfer
Read any good welding books lately? Did you understand it? Too complicated
maybe? Remove the mystery! Try this hands-on class in basic welding
techniques. No matter if you want to make yard art, build a trailer or fix
the gate on your hill country ranchette, this class is for you! You will get
to do arc welding, mig welding (wire-feed) oxy-acetylene torch welding and
very cool plasma arc cutting. Discuss safety, types and brands of equipment,
where to get it and how much to spend. The studio is air conditioned and
project ideas are encouraged. The focus will be on functional work and
decorative welding, so shop math and technical jargon will be minimal.
Safety glasses, leather gloves and welding helmets will be provided. New for
2004, a Houston area Metal Worker's Resource Guide. Class size: 3-7.
John Barber has been welding in industry, for trade shows and museums since
1971. He holds a BFA in sculpture and operates a design and fabrication
shop.
$115 + $20 materials