Comperssor questions

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Comperssor questions
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:29:31 -0700
I've got a 60 gallon, 5hp upright compressor located outside in a
compressor shed attached to the back of the shop. The air distribution
system is copper pipe throughout the shop. I leave it on 24/7, and it
has given trouble free service for about 6 years now. It almost never
cycles, unless I'm using the air (obviously).

Not to long ago the comp started squealing on start-up. I found the belt
was starting to self destruct and shred itself. I just replaced the belt
with a new one, and it works much better. However, there is still a
little bit of squeal on start-up. The surfaces of both the motor pulley
and the compressor pulley look clean and dry. I tried several times to
get a good bite with the pry bar to set the belt as tight as possible.

Is a little squeal at start-up anything to be concerned with?

There has been a little oil seepage around the base of the compressor
for a couple years now. I can't determine for sure where it is coming
from as it seems uniform around the base of the compressor, just below
the lower gasket. The oil level is fine, and the oil still looks clean.

How important is it to change the oil in these things?

Wayne