Re: Comperssor questions

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Comperssor questions
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:33:12 -0500
Wayne Farrington wrote:

> Not to long ago the comp started squealing on start-up. I found the belt
> was starting to self destruct and shred itself. I just replaced the belt
> with a new one, and it works much better. However, there is still a
> little bit of squeal on start-up. The surfaces of both the motor pulley
> and the compressor pulley look clean and dry. I tried several times to
> get a good bite with the pry bar to set the belt as tight as possible.
>
> Is a little squeal at start-up anything to be concerned with?

  I have the same problem.  I replace the belt, cleaned the pulleys with
carb cleaner, checked the motor/compressor alignment with a
straightedge, levered the motor out to make the belt as tight as I
could, etc.  I've just been living with it.

  PARENTHETICAL COMMENT:  why do they all put the belt on the BACK of
the compressor, anyway?!  I wind up standing on a milk crate, working
blindly behind the motor and the compressor.

  With some compressor redesign, they could probably just hook the motor
straight to the compressor and dispense with the belt entirely, which
would be fine with me...

> How important is it to change the oil in these things?

  I don't know, but I change mine once a year.  The drain plug on mine
drools oil all over the tank; since it was 1/8 NPT I added an extension
pipe and a petcock so I could easily drain into a coffee can.

  Mine's a Campbell-Hausfeld.  The manual calls for special
Campbell-Hausfeld compressor oil, or "synthetic motor oil."  It takes
less than a quart of Mobil 1 to fill it up.

--
===ronin@aristotle.net (Dave Williams)==============================
== waiting, anticipating / for someone to save her soul / well, I ==