Re: Comperssor questions

To: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Comperssor questions
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:18:41 -0500
> How important is it to change the oil in these things?

This is simply an FYI. I don't really expect anyone to follow
the suggestions.

I just bought a large two stage cast iron compressor. The
contents of the tag on the compressor:

-----

IMPORTANT!

Break-in Procedure

1) Run air compressor under no-load for 20 minutes before
putting into service.

2) Change break-in oil after first 8 hours of use. Then change
the oil every 300 hours or 3 months whatever (sic) comes first.

Failure to use a quality AIR COMPRESSOR OIL such as ...
could cause premature wear and void warranty.

... is a specially formulated non-detergent, high tempurature,
non-foaming oil, designed to prevent carbon build-up.

NOTE: For tempuratures above 30 deg. F use 30-weight oil
temperatures below 30 deg. F use 10-weight oil

-----

I did ask about synthetic air compressor oil to resolve the
"If it is an a cold garage in Minnesota it may need to
start below 30 deg. F" issue, but they suggested that it be
changed to synthetic no sooner than the 300 hour change,
which, in my case, could be years. So I put the compressor
in the basement.

Arvid