Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:46:32 -0700
> Actually one gal/hr seems low.

Yeah, you're right.  Did something wrong when I calculated the first time.
Apologies.

> Everything I've heard says it takes pretty much the same
> energy to create a set kw no matter the size of engine.

Likely true for a diesel, but gasoline engines have pumping losses when
lightly loaded.  Otherwise a V8 would get the same gas mileage as a
4-cylinder at constant freeway speeds.

> Diesel uses less gal/hr than gas but gas uses less gal/hr
> than propane or natural gas.  Natural gas is the least
> efficient to use

I think that's more a function of different amounts of energy per gallon.
Propane and natural gas engines are supposed to be more efficient, in terms
of Btu consumed vs hp-hour produced (all other things being equal); but they
have fewer Btu/gallon so burn more gallons.

Randall