Re: [Shop-talk] 6 to 3 fuel saving

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 6 to 3 fuel saving
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:07:24 -0400
Agreeing with Steve's post about fuel economy improvements, I wanted to add
something.

I got tried of people whining about high gas prices.  So I made an app for
my web site so you can SEE how much it is really costing you.

The site is here...
http://www.megageek.com/gas/Page1.htm
(note, it doesn't work with all browsers.  I made it quick one morning and
I'm not around to fix it.)

The red numbers are adjustable for you to fill in your data.  In most
cases, an almost doubling of fuel prices is less than $1000/year for
average drivers.  The site also compares the extra cost to a few things you
can cut out to balance the extra cost.

As for me, I drive an Explorer.  Being a former police officer, I have a
lead foot.  I was getting about 12 MPG normally.  I started driving slower
and I was able to bring that up to about 18 MPG.  Then, I started
"hypermilaging" (drafting off trucks and staying below the speed limit) and
I can get an average of 22 MPG.

So, there are way better ways to reduce fuel costs.  Didn't someone here
once post about putting a tennis ball under the gas pedal?

Have fun.  3 more weeks until I get to Iraq.

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos