Re: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show
From: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:26:05 -0500
I wonder if you can change a tire etc.?Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA '63 TR3B
TCF587L That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car! See it moves!> From:
bill@gingerich.us> To: jblair1948@cox.net; shop-talk@autox.team.net> Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:32:10 -0500> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show> >
John,> > I've actually watched that episode twice - it was on several months
ago here> in OKC. I found the idea of creating a micro-organism that can
digest and> ferment corn stalks (and other less desirable bio matter) into
ethanol to be> very interesting. One of my big questions is how much energy
does it take> to convert corn to ethanol? I mean the whole thing - tractors
and> fertilizer to grow corn, the harvesting and transportation to the plant,
and> the actual conversion. Do we really save anything? I just don't know.> >
An interesting tidbit I recently discovered. Oklahoma has a law that says>
anyone who works on an "alternative fuel" vehicle (hybrid, electric, LNG,> LP,
fuel cell, whatever) has to have a special certification that can cost> over
$1000 to get. Each violation is punishable by a $1000 fine and/or 1> year in
jail. This applies to anyone, even if I'm working on my own> vehicle. So if I
wanted to build an electric Spitfire, I could be fined and> thrown in jail. I
know hybrids use batteries with voltages in the hundreds,> so safety can be an
issue. The language of the law just seems a bit broad> to me. Anyway, I
thought it was interesting. > > 73> > BillG> Newalla, OK> KA0GOG> > > >
-----Original Message-----> From:
shop-talk-bounces+bill=gingerich.us@autox.team.net>
[mailto:shop-talk-bounces+bill=gingerich.us@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of> John
T. Blair> Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:18 PM> To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show> > Gang,> > Did
anyone watch Nova last night (Tue.)? It was a very interesting show> with
Click & Clack about alternative fuel and new/alternative cars.> > I was
plesantly supprised when they addressed things like Ethynol they> actually
said that it's not the beat all end all. We don't have the land to> grow
enough corn for it.> > All in all, an interesting show. However, there were
several things that> I'd have liked to see them go a little more in depth in.
But you can only> do so much in a 1 hr. show.> > John> > John T. Blair WA4OHZ
email: jblair1948@cox.net> Va. Beach, Va> Phone: (757) 495-8229> > 48 TR1800
48 #4 Midget 65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)> 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887) 77
Spitfire 71 Saab Sonett III> 65 Rambler Classic> > Morgan:
www.team.net/www/morgan> Bricklin: www.bricklin.org> > If you can read this -
Thank a teacher!> If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!>