Re: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Nova - PBS show
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:31:47 -0400
> Check out the "Alternative Fuels Technician Certification Act" ...

Thanks, that's what I was missing.  That title.  Interestingly I was on the
Oklahoma government Department of Central Services web page and still didn't
find it by searching.

There's some weirdness on applicability, as there are a number of
alternative fuel vehicles clubs and electric vehicle clubs both in Oklahoma
or with members in Oklahoma, and nary a mention of this act or any
difficulties with converting their own vehicles.  There's nothing in the act
that explicitly exempts private individuals, though it is clearly aimed at
commercial ventures.

Chasing around further, I found nothing about this act for companies in
Oklahoma doing conversions commercially, or various alternative fuel fleets.
No mention of the required window sticker, no picture of this sticker on any
of the cars.

So I go chasing around even further, and other than the DCS documents, I
cannot find any mention of this law/regulation/code at all, especially from
an enforcement perspective.  Further, Oklahoma has tax credits for people
converting vehicles, and a number of government sponsored alternative fuel
vehicle fleets and programs.

I'm not in Oklahoma, so it's not my axe to grind.  But I rather suspect this
is one of those laws that is ignored, unless someone forces the issue.  Much
like our historic tag laws here in Maryland.

That said, there is something to be said for the notion of making sure
people do the conversion right.  Not that I support a law governing it, but
the messes people can make doing things like this, and then gift it to
others.  Be the recipient of the gift a fireman, an accident victim or a
customer.