Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:33:40 -0400
And I forgot to add about DirecTV: the bill they're sending me is about
$10 higher per month than what I agreed to.  So for I've not been able
to get resolution.  I either pay it or cancel early with an early
termination fee.

No, it's not taxes, etc., each line is just between $1 and $2 higher
than what they told it it would be.

I'll be done with them as soon as I can be.

On 3/14/2011 3:22 PM, David Hillman wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>> Actually, it's a little of both.  However, a well placed dish will
>> eliminate almost all of the problems, IF you aren't in an area prone to
>> electrical storms.  (I.e. some of Florida, etc.)
>> This is most likely why to had different results with two services on
>> different dishes in the same house.
>
>    The results really weren't very different.  The internet signal was
> slightly more reliable, but the huge majority of the time, they were
> either both out, or both on.  I did have to build a ~15' brush to
> clear snow off the internet dish since it was larger and exposed ( and
> doesn't work at all when covered with snow ).
>
>    I loved the satellite internet product for the first few years.  I
> used to measure bandwidth higher than their support folks thought was
> possible. Over time, though, as they added customers, it got slower
> and slower until it finally wasn't worth it.  I doubt seriously I was
> getting "impossible" throughput from a poorly-aligned dish.
>
>> Like I said, I can count on one hand how many times I lost signal in the
>> past 10 years.
>> I also install Directv on all my rentals (and provide it as part of
>> their
>> rent).  Aside from the occasional receiver glitch, I've never had a
>> problem.  Also, they have great customer service.
>
>    I don't think I'm the only one... Googling "DirecTV thunderstorm"
> yields a couple hundred thousand hits.
>
>    This is probably going to come off like I'm some DirecTV-hater, but
> I'm not.  I'm just a ex-customer who got what I think is a better deal
> elsewhere.  That said, DirecTV is currently defending at least 2
> class-action lawsuits for deceptive practices, and is rated F by the
> BBB ( http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357 ).
> They also paid the FTC the largest fine, ever, at the time, in 2005.
>
>    Just FYI.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive