Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:20:53 -0500
About 10 years ago I was a Direct TV customer. I received a flier in the
mail telling me to watch for a decrease in my bill. When my next bill
arrived it was about $30 higher than before. A call to their customer
support number informed me that, yes, the bill went up, but that there
were more channels added, so the cost per channel was less than before.
I asked what channels had been added and the list  consisted entirely of
infomercial channels, which I do not watch. I canceled the service that
day and been with Dish Network ever since.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Scott Hall, On 3/14/2011 2:33 PM:
> And I forgot to add about DirecTV: the bill they're sending me is
> about $10 higher per month than what I agreed to.  So for I've not
> been able to get resolution.  I either pay it or cancel early with an
> early termination fee.
>
> No, it's not taxes, etc., each line is just between $1 and $2 higher
> than what they told it it would be.
>
> I'll be done with them as soon as I can be.
>
> On 3/14/2011 3:22 PM, David Hillman wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>> Actually, it's a little of both.  However, a well placed dish will
>>> eliminate almost all of the problems, IF you aren't in an area prone to
>>> electrical storms.  (I.e. some of Florida, etc.)
>>> This is most likely why to had different results with two services on
>>> different dishes in the same house.
>>
>>    The results really weren't very different.  The internet signal
>> was slightly more reliable, but the huge majority of the time, they
>> were either both out, or both on.  I did have to build a ~15' brush
>> to clear snow off the internet dish since it was larger and exposed (
>> and doesn't work at all when covered with snow ).
>>
>>    I loved the satellite internet product for the first few years.  I
>> used to measure bandwidth higher than their support folks thought was
>> possible. Over time, though, as they added customers, it got slower
>> and slower until it finally wasn't worth it.  I doubt seriously I was
>> getting "impossible" throughput from a poorly-aligned dish.
>>
>>> Like I said, I can count on one hand how many times I lost signal in
>>> the
>>> past 10 years.
>>> I also install Directv on all my rentals (and provide it as part of
>>> their
>>> rent).  Aside from the occasional receiver glitch, I've never had a