RE: FW: oil leaks

To: spridgets
Subject: RE: FW: oil leaks
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:35:15 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
[BOUNCE spridgets@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 27]

     Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 17:14:59 UT
     From: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>

If a spridget has any oil pressure at all, there is not much short of
replacing all gaskets that will stop the oil from leaking, and even then there
will be someplace that leaks. If not today, then tomorrow or the next day. As
Ulix states, the venting system is very important on these engines, especially
the ones with PCV valves.  The oil filler cap is also vented and needs
replacement from time to time or at least a good cleaning. Even after a
complete rebuild with everything replaced (internal and external including
installing a rear main seal kit), I still had problems getting every thing to
seal. I am down to three drips now, the rear main, the front plate on the
transmission (should have replaced it with the new cover that has a seal), and
the rear end.  There are a few things that can be done without pulling the
engine

 Valve cover gasket
 Side cover gaskets
 Copper seals on all of the oil fittings to the block
     tube from block to gauge
     tube from block to oil filter
 etc.

Larry Miller