oil leaks

To: Nory@webtv.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil leaks
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:26:17 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Friday, 17 October 1997 at 10:26 Nory wrote:

NORY>  Is there any way to, at least temporarily fix the obligatory
Spridget oil leaks without pulling the engine?

Response by RICH>  The first question is how much work do you want to
have to do?  I believe you can replace virtually every gasket/seal on the
engine with it in place (excepting the rear seal) but it is easier to do
it with the engine out.

If you simply just want to slow them down (they can be eliminated,
believe it or not), this is what I did to an older six-cylinder Chevy
that ran well, but leaked all over the place.  Clean the engine
internally with a can of Motor Flush; follow the directions carefully,
then change oil with a cheap grade of oil and filter, run the engine for
twenty minutes at 1500 rpms and change the oil with a good grade of oil
and filter.  Add a can of Oil Stop Leak.  While you're changing the oil,
check the filler plug gasket, or apply some thread tape to it.  Check the
ones on the gearbox and the rear-end as well.

Check to make sure that your PCV or equivalent is working (I tried for
two days to stop a leak on mine and it turned out the PCV was toast and
air pressure was forcing oil out).

Clean the exterior of the engine thoroughly with a high pressure hose,
degreaser, etc, etc.  Clean it again.  Remove all the ancillary
components (alternator, etc) and clean it again.  Use compressed air to
remove all the water.

Run the engine for a bit to warm it through and crawl under it with a
drop light from many different angle to find where it is leaking.  'Snug
up' all the bolts first.

If this does not stop/slow the leak, clean the area of the leak
thoroughly with carb cleaner or the equivalent and apply a thin bead of
silicone directly into the area of the gasket edge (between the mating
surfaces).  Force it in with a wet finger, let it set, then repeat.

This will cure or at least temporarily fix/slow down the problem, but it
does nothing for the front and rear seals.  If they're leaking, you might
as well replace them all...

Seriously, I would consider pulling the engine, buying the gasket/seal
set, and replacing them all.  You can do it over one good weekend with
hand tools, though you may have to rent a hoist.

The plus side is that you know everything is good, you can inspect the
lower end, and you can clean and paint everything.  A clean engine
compartment is a joy to work on.

Hope this helps.

Luck,

Rich