Re: FW: oil leaks

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FW: oil leaks
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:37:25 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Nory,

smearing slilicone all over would be similar to taping a garbage bag under
the engine. It may stop the leaks during the time it takes to fill some
void, but the oil is still going to leave where it's supposed to stay and
go to a place (now somewhere else in the engine rather than on your
driveway) that it's not supposed to be.

That's not very helpful. Les Myer at PDLJMPR has a tech note on how he
stopped his leaks, but he did it while the engine was out. Possibly you
could ask him what the bear minimum is to stop the leaks, then pull the
engine just for that job. I've not pulled a Sprite engine, but it's
supposed to be very easy, much easier than pulling the engine plus tranny
(which itself is not supposed to be too hard). Ulix Goeschtt pulled both
with the help of two frineds and a rented engine hoist. I think he only had
the hoist for a half day!

Then, it boils down to suppressing your high work ethics. You'd have to
keep telling yourself "I'm going to have this on the road next weekend, I
don't _care_ about x, y, or z..."

Jeff

>Is there any way to, at least temporarily fix the obligatory Spridget
>oil leaks without pulling the engine?  I'm guessing I'd have to pull the
>engine and replace all the gaskets/seals.  But, if I do that, I'll end
>up rebuilding, detailing, etc (all the "while I'm at it"s) - Something I
>don't really have time for and the car will be laid up for 6 months.
>Anybody have any easy tips that might work (smearing silicone all over,
>maybe?)?
>
>-NORY

Jeff Boatright             __o_\__         '65 Sprite Mk III
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html