Re: Suspension tricks

To: Dean Meyer <Dean.Meyer@internord.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension tricks
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:52:04 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Dean Meyer wrote:

> OK kids, here's the million dollar question.  I am about to order some
> new suspension bits for the Big Block. I need your help in deciding if I
> should stick with stock coils and leafs or go with the uprated and
> lowered 1" ones. Keep in mind I will have a 95BHP Swiftune Sports Tourer
> coupled to a Nissan 5 speed. I have front and rear sway bars, will have
> the Frontline Koni front shock conversion and Special Tuning Armstrong
> adjustable rear shocks. I plan on replacing all the rubber bits with
> polyurethane.
>
> I don't mind a hard ride, the car will be used for fast road and not
> racing. I live in a very bumpy, ill maintained network of country roads.
> I haven't flattened the exhaust on the Woody yet, but it's only 1 1/4"
> in diameter!
>
> What's the verdict?
>
> Dean Meyer

Dean,
I have asked myself the same questions, and have come to the simple
conclusion to just try it.  The parts are so cheap (lower front springs
$60, lowering blocks in the rear) that you can throw them out if you don't
like them.
I will try at least the front springs when I get my shock problem solved.
I carry heavy loads in the trunk often as this is my only car, so I would
lower the rear only if it looks stupid compared to the lowered front.

When lowering the front by inserting spacers under the spring pan,
remember that the amount lowered is not = spacer length.  I put in some 1"
spacers and bottomed out on the interstate.  1/2" would probably be about
right.

Where do you get the adjustable lever shocks and how much are they?

While I am on the subject, can someone share experiences as to the results
of changing to tube shocks?  Has anyone directly compared lever shocks to
tube shocks?  I am talking front and rear.

                                                           '67 Sprite