Re: Distributor for 1500

To: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor for 1500
From: Amy Turner <ltturner@cococo.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 15:24:41 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Dietsche wrote:

> On another subject, has anyone replaced the Lucas alternator with a
> higher-rated/easier-to-find American alternator?  What's the Lucas'
> output anyway, about 30 amps?  That seems low even for that car......I
> like to think I have enough capacity for thorough charging even when
> I'm driving with lights on  and wipers running.

Been there, done that, ruined three batteries over the course of a summer.
They're not built to be completely discharged and recharged every week.

Yes, it's been done.  Check out the tech. tips on PDLJMPR at
http://www.probe.net/~lmyer  (I'm not giving the exact location because the
existence of this site relies on an increasing counter.  Always enter
through the main page.)  Anyway, from that page, enter PDLJMPR, then go to
the Austin-Healey Sprite Technical Information page, then click on the link
labeled "electrical." The first article is about how to install a Mitsubishi
alternator, by the esteemed Frank Clarici.

Hope this helps!
Amy

P.S. By the way, while you're at the site, take a side trip to read about my
car, if you haven't already.  The next issue should be out soon!