Re: Midget interior questions....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Midget interior questions....
From: Chuck Simmers <Chuck_Simmers@ccm.ch.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 98 13:27:00 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greg,
        I did the interior of my BRG Midget in tan. I just bought a good
automotive-grade, closed-loop carpet from the local auto upholstery supply
(about $7.50/m) and used the old, original carpet as templates. 3M-brand spray
adhesive work best. I used the super-spec stuff recommended for vinyl roofs (the
summers in Phoenix will soften anything less).
        I did deviate from original in some places as follows:
1. The kick-panels in front of the doors and along the sides of the transmission
tunnel. These were originally vinyl and were always scuffed. Redid in carpet, no
scuff marks anymore.
2. Eliminated the vinyl panels below the doors, inside the sills. Same reason as
above.
3. Recovered the rear cockpit/boot divider panel in carpet, because "it looked
right".

        I had the seats reupholstered in tan with black piping and the doors
done in tan-w/black pipe with the lower half in tan carpet. With the standard
black crackle dashboard and console and black leather steering wheel, I think it
looks quite smart.

Chuck Simmers
'66 Mk2 / Toyota DOHC 1600cc

Hello Spridgeteers...

I have a couple of questions regarding my Mk1 (1962) Midget's inerior.

OK sacrilege time: I'm not crazy about not having headrests (neck
injuries could really ruin my day), so I was seriously considering
getting some later model Midget seats with headrests.  How difficult
would it be to fit seats from a 70 or later car into my 62?

Next sacrileigious question:  I'm planning on doing the the car in
British Racing Green, and I'd like to do the interior in Tan/Biscuit.
Would later model interior and carpet kits fit in my Midget?  I know the
door panels won't work, but I' thinhking aobu the panels around the
transmission tunnel, and behind the seats?

Thanks

Greg