RE: Midget interior questions....

To: "'Gregory Kirk'" <gkirk@empirenet.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Midget interior questions....
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:21:06 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some PO of my Mk1 changed the seats and interior color from red to black.

I have MkIII (approx. '67) Midget seats in my '61 and they fit fine.(yes they
are low backs, but later seats do fit)  I have a later carpet kit as well. You
can make your own vinyl-covered panels to go in the footwells and above the
wheelarches, or recover yours in new material.

Ulix is right - the panel between the cockpit and trunk is different on
stow-away top cars so you would have to re-cover yours or use it as a template
to make a new one. (I have a plywood template if you need me to trace it) mine
was covered in carpet, not vinyl and it looks ok (whoever did it matched the
carpet kit very well, easier with black than with biscuit.)

As Fred mentioned, unless you get it made custom, a tonneau would be out of the
question: because they don't have cut-outs for the quarterlights, early
tonneaus are different. You'll never find a 'side-curtain' cover with headrest
pockets.

 Do you plan to spray the doors? It can be done, my doors and dash were
originally red and were changed to black. You can't tell unless you remove the
bezels on the dash and see traces of red on the edges of the vinyl.

What kind of shape are your Mk1 seats in and where are they going?

Fred, how $ure are you that you want to keep that $teering wheel? ;-)

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget - started life as a black car with red interior but is now a red car
with black interior. (originally had a gray top and red tonneau too - very 1961)