Re: fact or fiction

To: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: fact or fiction
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:33:44 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jay Fishbein wrote:

> Hi,
> I am glad that someone finally stood up and made this statement. I
> participate in this list primarily as an observer and agree that the
> misinformation is frightening, or humorous, depending upon one's
> perspective.
>
> The one aspect of the participants in this list that I continue to fail
> to understand is that there is a wealth of printed information
> available today that is ignored. This includes original factory
> publications as well as numerous books and other publications. In
> addition, there seems to be a lack of interest in the Clubs whose
> members are there to meet and share first hand information.
>
> The internet is fascinating but it is not necessarily the bible of
> Healey information. As with any information on anything, be careful of
> its origin before digesting it.
>
> Jay Fishbein, CT
> Numerous Restored and Original Sprites/Midgets/Innocentis
>
> You wrote:
> >
> >In a message dated 98-02-06 09:34:32 EST, wsthompson@thicko.com
> writes:
> >
> ><< It is extremely irritating to witness the amount of disinformation
> that
> > gets tossed about on this (the Healey) list... perpetuating
> > inaccuracies, untruths, and just plain old wrong information.  Even
> some
> > of the "experts" on this list seem to be guilty more often than not.
> >
> > There are opinions and there are facts. One contains the truth, the
> > other may or may not. The tendency is to believe "what's in
> writing"...
> > so try to check your facts before posting your opinions. >>
> >
> >I agree whole heartedly with your statement.  I do however have to add
> >comment.  We all learn by our mistakes.  Some of the statements are
> made by
> >individuals that really believe they have the right answer.  In most
> cases the
> >misinformation is corrected by a more knowledgeable individual and
> everyone
> >learns from the discussion.  I guess I see more humor than irritation
> and
> >enjoy seeing how the thread plays out.
> >
> >Ron

Oh boy,
        OK jumping in with both feet here. I've been watching this list for a
while. We are on the professional side of things and been doing parts
and advise for a long time. I am sometimes scared by the bad and
dangerous advise given or the post that begins "I am about to ..... this
weekend". I agree with Jay that the net can be a great resource but,
these cars have been around for awhile and most of what can be done HAS
been done, good or bad. Rather than guess at what might work, seek the
advise (even at a price) of what DOES work. Those in the biz that I know
enjoy the enthusiasm that newer owners have, but we'd appreciate some
credit (not necessarily monetary) for passing along our experience and
expertise. This goes somewhat to the thread here or in another list
(Triumph I think) about irrascible mechanics, and junkyard owners.
Experienced people sometimes get short with people who have already
(mis)diagnosed, (mis)repaired or have the air of knowing more than
everybody. Some of us have been there, done that and probably screwed it
up once or thrice.
        Enjoy the cars. They are meant to be driven, they are are FUN! They're
even more fun when they work properly and safely. Hope I haven't
offended...I'm off my soapbox now.    Cheers    Peter
        numerous LBCs 1931-1968 plus a heap of Land Rovers ( and an Innocenti
for Jay) (I haven't forgotten, just can't get to it yet)