Re: Left Lane Cruiser!

To: miq@teleport.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Left Lane Cruiser!
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:21:27 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Great story..Thanks for "UNLURKING"

This is why I love my Midget.  I used to ride motorcycles.  Found I was
always going80, and feeling totally safe..in fact having very little
sensation of speed.  Not so in the Midget.  70 does feel like 100!

Indulge me on a P*rsche story for a minute.

My father in laws father (grandfather in law?) had one of the first
Porsche 911's in Texas.  Since there was no AC on the car and hot they
usually travelled at night.  He tells the story of waking from a blissful
sleep in the passenger seat with the engine racing.  The wife
says.....this thing won't go over 65 MPH..it has been this way for about
an hour....

Groggily he wakes up..realizes what is going on and asks her to SLOWLY
lift her foot from the gas pedal.  Seems she'd been looking at the
tach..and was at 65 hundred RPM....in fourth...for the last hour....

Once they got it slowed down....he told her what she'd been doing(well
over 100mph) and she said
"THATS  why everyone was driving so slow!"

They have a great time telling that story.

Couldn't happen in a Midget!!

Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA

1973 Midget  1275    '88 240 Volvo   '92  F150    '74 Midget  1275
(apart!)
Central Virginia MG Classics, AMGBA, VMSC
Please stand by for shamless plug from JUNO...(it is so tacky!)........

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:11:24 -0800 (PST) Miq Millman <miq@teleport.com>
writes:
>Ron Soave says:
>>
>> Ditto.  The Bugeye at 70 is more thrilling than the Lotus was at 100
>- a
>> much greater sensation of speed.  Plus you can do it all day
>everyday.

>it
>> feels
>> >
>> >   Pssssst I agree.
>> >
>> >   I've had mine up to around 80mph and that was plenty. I hit a
>> > tiny scratch in the chalk on the road and thought I was going
>> > to roll the car 17 times.
>
>This thread pulls me out of lurker status to tell the story of one of
>my first
>rides in my '61 Bugeye.
>
>I had driven the car up from Gilroy to Sunnyvale the day before, but
>my
>wife hadn't riden in the car yet, so we packed up a sack lunch and
>headed
>out for the coast via highway 280 and then 92 to Half Moon Bay.
>
>As we hit the winding turns of I280 just north of Page Mill rd, my
>wife
>started the scream that I was going too fast.  "We must be doing 80!
>Slow
>down!"  I tried to tell her that it was just a small car and that she
>was
>sitting very close to the ground.  I had to admit it really felt like
>we
>were zipping along.  The highway was fairly deserted at the time, and
>thus
>there wasn't much of a reference (and the speedo was bouncing so much
>couldn't get a reading from it).
>
>As we hit the next large hill, I happened to look over my left to the
>middle lane, when two things happened.  First I was struck by the fact
>that
>I was staring directly at the hubcap of a brown Ford Granada, and
>second, I
>noticed that the Ford's digital dash was visible through his window as
>he
>passed us by.
>
>I could clearly make out his speed, an impressive 48 mph.
>
>My wife giggled for at least 10 miles after that about how "fast" this
>mighty sports car was.
>
>--
>__
>Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com
>Tualatin, OR

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]