Re: Left Lane Cruiser!

To: redlotus@spacey.net
Subject: Re: Left Lane Cruiser!
From: Miq Millman <miq@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:11:24 -0800 (PST)
Cc: tboicey@brit.ca, Michael_Nolan@cuusa.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ron Soave says:

> Ditto.  The Bugeye at 70 is more thrilling than the Lotus was at 100 - a
> much greater sensation of speed.  Plus you can do it all day everyday.
>
> > > You guys are outta ya minds....   I do 70 MPH in the Midget and it
> feels
> > > like I'm doing 100 !!!    Safety Fast enuf for me !!
> >
> >   Pssssst I agree.
> >
> >   I've had mine up to around 80mph and that was plenty. I hit a
> > tiny scratch in the chalk on the road and thought I was going
> > to roll the car 17 times.

This thread pulls me out of lurker status to tell the story of one of my first
rides in my '61 Bugeye.

I had driven the car up from Gilroy to Sunnyvale the day before, but my
wife hadn't riden in the car yet, so we packed up a sack lunch and headed
out for the coast via highway 280 and then 92 to Half Moon Bay.

As we hit the winding turns of I280 just north of Page Mill rd, my wife
started the scream that I was going too fast.  "We must be doing 80!  Slow
down!"  I tried to tell her that it was just a small car and that she was
sitting very close to the ground.  I had to admit it really felt like we
were zipping along.  The highway was fairly deserted at the time, and thus
there wasn't much of a reference (and the speedo was bouncing so much I
couldn't get a reading from it).

As we hit the next large hill, I happened to look over my left to the
middle lane, when two things happened.  First I was struck by the fact that
I was staring directly at the hubcap of a brown Ford Granada, and second, I
noticed that the Ford's digital dash was visible through his window as he
passed us by.

I could clearly make out his speed, an impressive 48 mph.

My wife giggled for at least 10 miles after that about how "fast" this
mighty sports car was.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com