Re: The Spirit of Joseph Lucas

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: The Spirit of Joseph Lucas
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 08:58:26 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Frank,

Could it be that the voltage feed through the car's wiring to the horn is
dropping, only under load due to a poor connection or corrosion - or that
the ground circuit to the horn button has the same type of problem.

To check the positive feed to the horn I would hook the horn up to the
positive harness feed and run a jumper wire from the other horn terminal to
battery ground.  Hook up a volt meter to the + side of the horn to ground
and note voltage drop as the horn ground is touched on the battery.  If the
voltage reading drops significantly, there is something wrong with the +
feed to the horn or the circuit is not heavy enough for this particular
horn.  If there is no drop and the horn does not honk, there is something
wrong with the horn.

If the + feed and the horn is OK, all but the horn switch itself can be
checked by hooking up the horn to the wiring harness + and - and monitoring
the voltage  on the ground wire as near to the horn switch as possible.
When the horn switch is not depressed, you should read battery voltage.
When the horn switch is depressed, you should read 0 volts.  If it reads
more than 0 volts, then there is a problem with the horn contact.

Hope this helps,

Les

The feed to the horn can be checked by hooking up