Re: 5 speed Bugeye (almost)

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: 5 speed Bugeye (almost)
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:09:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@msn.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Frank Clarici wrote:
> Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:
> > Where does the shifter sit in relation to the hole in the tunnel?  Mine
> > wants to sit right up against the drivers side.  Hope there is enough play
> > in the mount to get it centered otherwise the driveshaft is going to be
> > cocked at an angle.
> >
> > Larry Miller
>
>  My shifter sat right up next to the left side too but I heated it and gave
>it a
> few bends now it fits perfectly and in the original metal shift boot.
> I used a mapp gas hand torch and made the bends before I cut it down.
> (do this before you install the new plastic bushings)
>
> Just some Yankee ingenuity on a Jap gearbox in a British car.

FWIW, I was not able to use the metal shift "tower" no matter how I would
bend the lever.  Because the pivot (lower end of lever) is lower than with
the ribace, the throw of the lever is too much.  The lever will hit the
the edge of the hole in the shift tower.  I had considered cutting the
tower down some and welding the lower flange back on - maybe some day.
I use a shift boot from a 1500 now.

                                                           '67 Sprite