Re: Bad Clunk

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Bad Clunk
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 05:41:50 PDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Are you sure there is no play in the wheels It sounds very much like
worn splines on those wire wheels, Try jacking the car up and really
tightening the knockoff and see if the sound becomes less or the speed
at which it occurs changes. If it does take the rear wheels off and
examine the splines on the hub I think the splines on the hub are longer
than the inside of the wheel, if so there will be a definite ridge from
the worn part to the unused part. Not a difficult job to replace but the
parts are expensive. Check the inside splines on the wheel itself also
for wear.
Peter.