Re: generator or alternator

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: generator or alternator
From: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 98 23:39:22 PDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
        I did Frank's Jap alternator conversion on my bug-i.  It is cheap and
easy to do, my total cost was $20 and took a couple of hours, including
shopping at the junk yard and hardware store.  If you throw in a 6 pack of cold
beer it could take a whole afternoon.
        My car has a amp gauge in it so I could see the difference before and
after.  Before with the lights  on at idle the gauge would read -15 and at
speed it would read 0 or a little better, without the lights at speed the best
it ever did was +15.  Now when I start it, it goes to +15/+30 at idle and
slowly goes to 0 and stays there no matter what I turn on.  That is at idle or
speed.
        While you don't need to do the conversion just to put in a radio, it is
better than replacing dead generator with a rebuilt one and much cheaper too.
Should make the battery last longer now because the only thing it does is start
the car after that the alternator does it all.
                Crash