Re: music in a Sprite (64-on)

To: emakris@hol.gr, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: music in a Sprite (64-on)
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:18:08 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Evangelos:

>1. All modern radio-cassette players are too deep to fit,
>I guess older radios were shallower because they didn't have
>a cassette mechanism in them - nobody sells such things here
>anymore

I used a set of brass spacers to set my console off from the bulkead an
additional 3/4".

>2. It is absolutely impossible to find an oval speaker that
>has holes where the chrome grille threaded legs are, i.e.
>91mm X 171mm. This, again, was an older size speaker, extinct.

Check with Radio Shack; seems to me they had several different types of
replacement speakers that would fit within the area.  You could also
re-locate the holes by drilling new ones in the speaker frame.
Personally, I ditched the single speaker in the console and replaced the
grille with a set of auxiliary guages, mounting the speaker(s) in the
rear bulkead.

>Under the parcel shelf? That's made of paper! It can't even hold
>a camera without bending.

Fabricate a new parcel shelf out of 1/4" plywood and aluminum angle.
Cheap, lets you place things exactly where you want, and doesn't
irrevocably alter the old one in case you ever decide to change it back.

>So, I'd like to hear your ideas on modern radio placement options
>in a post-64 Sprite. Ideally I'd like a radio-CD player and a pair
>of 16mm speakers on the rear bulkhead (reinforced with wood).

Have you considered buying one of the aftermarket consoles made for
modern radios and speakers?  I saw some on a link (?) from Patton
Dickson's website a while ago, and thought they were very nice.  Should
think they would fit your problem exactly.  I'm thinking the designer's
name was Fisher (Alan Fisher?  Fisher Jones? -- long day and not enough
coffee yet).

I'm quite pleased having my speakers mounted in the rear bulkhead.  I
would consider mounting an additional piece of wood behind the speakers
(in the boot) to form a 'baffle' that sound can bounce back off of.
Makes mine sound better at speed.

Best of luck!

Rich
'79 MG Midget "Miss Molly"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"

"It is wise to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties."
James Madison ca. 1791