RE: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...

To: "'M Brouillette'" <mbrouill@ix.netcom.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:42:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike -

Frank Clarici can (and hopefully will) give a more complete answer on the
first part, but I'll summarize and answer both questions at once.  Plan on:

1 New Battery (while you're at it, check for shorts in the electrical
system from insulation-chewing rodents)
2 New tires.
3 Change the oil.
4 Drain and Flush the cooling system.
5 Drain and flush the Fuel system
6 Replace all the rubber hoses in the fuel system
7 Replace all the seals in the carbs  (Clean and overhaul while you're at
it.)
8 (In your case) get an SU fuel pump overhaul kit and install it
9 Squirt oil down the bores and spin the engine on the starter until you
have oil pressure
10 Let it sit for a day then do a compression test. (to determine if valves
and rings are still doing their things).
11 Do whatever is dictated by the compression test.
12 Drain and refill the transmission and differential.
13 Replace all the rubber components in the brake system (Master
Cylinder/wheel cylinder/caliper rebuild and the rubber hoses)
14 Ditto for the clutch hydraulics
15 Replace all the rubber components in the suspension (which will require
a complete teardown of the front end, during which you are likely to find
other problems...)

This (except for the fuel pump) is the short list of what I have had to do
on my (back then) 25K-mile '77 Midget over the past 3 years.  (Even careful
storage is #@$$ on a car.)  I did steps 1-11 right away, then did the rest
as I discovered problems while driving it  I would try to do steps 9 and 10
before laying down $$$..  Knowing this, if the car is still worth $5,000 to
you, go for it (only you can judge the intangibles).

If not, let the list know about it, in case someone else wants to go for
it. It should be driven.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net