Re: Bugeye Front-Hinging Hood

To: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, RMiller930@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Front-Hinging Hood
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:05:51 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Rod,
I have not looked at the XJ-S setup but will check it out, as for the
TR6 I looked at that but if the pull cable breaks or jams I could not
see any way of getting the hood open It's bad enough on a TR6 looks
impossible on a Bugeye.

For now I bolted a short length of aluminum angle to each hinge mount on
the bonnet then bolted a length of pipe to each angle, cut a hole just
in front of the firewall below each hinge pocket and bolted a plate with
a hole slightly larger than the diameter of the pipe over the hole.
Lowered the hood and marked the pipe from under the dash where it
protruded and drilled holes in the pipe so I could insert a pin. It is
completly invisible from the outside and theft resistant unless someone
knows to look under the dash to pull the pins. I also put springs over
the pipe along with a rubber bumper so that the bonnet pops up slightly
when you pull the pins, makes it a bit difficult to insert the pins but
you do not scratch the paint trying to lift the bonnet. I was
considering adding the spitfire latches mounted at the side of the
footwell instead of externally to pull the sides of the bonnet in so
they did not flap around as much. This would leave the outside of the
car looking stock without having to cut holes in the bonnet.
Peter.

>From: RMiller930@aol.com
>Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:27:49 EDT
>To: millerls@email.msn.com, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Subject: Re: Bugeye Front-Hinging Hood
>
>In process of fitting my bonnet for front tilt.  Used all existing
holes as
>didn't want to cut up car or weld on, made a formica template for hole
>alignment, made steel brackets, mounted with three bolts per side (one
is
>hinge bolt).  Removed rear hinges, and am looking at either fitting a
TR6