Part 2 - Torqueing the Head

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Part 2 - Torqueing the Head
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:24:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi

Thanks for all the input on part 1 of this problem.  I have now re-torqued
the head with no improvement in the problem.  I have other
observations/guesses to add to this situation.

I let the engine warm up thoroughly sitting in the driveway with
occaisional sustained moderate rpm and there was no leakage.  I then took
it out onto the road and ran it it up 5k in second and third and the smoke
began pouring out of the engine as the oil hit the headers.  It is
definitely not coming from the rocker cover or timing chain cover.  It is
definitely coming from under the headers somewhere.

Any possibility that the oil pressure relief valve is not working properly
and therefore causing high oil pressure under load at high rpm??

thanks again
dave
'72 MKIII