Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:19:28 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Carl,

So are you saying that you draft on public roads? You say that it's "True
dangerous." It may be your choice to do that, but what happens when you end
up smacking the semi in front of you? At the very least you inconvenience
the driver you've hit. More than likely you'll end up inconveniencing
everyone coming up the road, because now there'll be a traffic jam. The
even more likely scenario is that your choice would cause a multi-vehicle
pile-up. I wonder if those people in that pile-up would appreciate your
choice to be "True dangerous" and how it takes away their choice to be
"true alive."

I'm not writing this to change your mind. I'm sure this diatribe won't. I'm
writing this because your post should not go unchallenged. I sure wouldn't
want you to think that every lister agrees with you. As far as I'm
concerned, you're getting a thrill at others' expense and without their
agreeing to it. Doesn't say a lot about your personal responsibility level.
This choice about your personal safety has ramifications for many others on
the road, even if they are yuppies in SUVs. Racers go on the track
acknowledging the inherent dangers. They've all agreed to that danger
level. Drivers on public roads know that there are inherent dangers, too,
and they've agreed to that different danger level. However, that level does
not include intentional recklessness ("True dangerous"?) by other drivers.
If you want to develop your racing skills, do it on a track.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis