Re: Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing

To: davemiles2son@worldnet.att.net, jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:04:58 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/29/98 9:24:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
davemiles2son@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Helmet laws, smoking laws, seatbelt laws,
 carseat laws, speed limits.  Enough is enough.  Life is not intended to
 be lived risk free.  One should endanger others as little as possible >>

I hate laws too.  Laws, regulations, signs.  I also hate to be taken advantage
of by unthinking souls who want their "freedom"--so, I have a solution.  I
call it simply a "Liability Limitation law".  It would replace all the others.
If I am involved in a wreck with a biker who is dumb enough to not be wearing
a helmet, or a driver who is stupid enough to not have seat belts buckled, or
a parent negligent enough to not have their child in a carseat, they are
putting ME and my livlihood in jeopardy.  They are increasing, unthinkingly,
the risk that More serious injury will occur to them should they be injured in
a mishap with me, thus placing me under greater liability, no matter who is at
fault.  Fault is not an issue here--only the negligent decision to ignore
common sense in safety.

The common sense law would only limit MY liability in such a circumstance.  If
HE decides to not wear his helmet on his motercycle ride today and is involved
in a mishap with me, no matter who is at fault, MY liability is erased or
radically reduced.  It becomes a matter of freedom of choice--and I am not
injured by HIS negligent choice.  But he is free to make it.

It needs a little work, I know, but I really like the essence of it.  I do
like you endangerment of others comment.  Good reason for regulating
overbearing smokers who feel they have a "right" to damage other people as
much or more than they are doing to themselves (I am one of those dangerous
ex-smokers--lol).

--David