Off Topic -- rather long too....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Off Topic -- rather long too....
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:16:22 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>It will never work until we do what Shakespeare said" First we kill
>all the lawyers!"

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the proper quote from WS is:  "First
thing we do, is shoot all the lawyers."  From _The Merchant of Venice_, I
believe, and in reference to Shylock (where's that English instructor on
the list?).  I could, of course, point out that WS never said that
particular phrase, but rather *wrote* it, but that would be entirely too
Clintonesque for me ('nother lawyer, don't ya know).  <G>

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I am a pre-law student
and a paralegal.  Thus far this week, I've assisted in reuniting a parent
with a wrongfully removed child, helped an older couple recover a rental
deposit, and enabled a dying gentleman to pass on his estate to his
family with minimal taxes.  I like to think that none of these require my
demise as being against the public good.

No lawyer can work without clients.  Since there are many more clients
than lawyers, and clients necessarily are made up of the public, I would
submit that any problems with a litagation-happy society are the fault of
the public.  Unless we are willing to have people settle their problems
outside the law (when reasonable attempts fail), we will always need
lawyers.

Lawyers are much like soldiers and police officers; nobody likes them
until they need one....

Rich

E-mail me for a copy of my collection of attorney jokes -- keep laughing,
it's all billable time.