Re: Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing

To: jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Public drafting, was Re: a Very Sad thing
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:50:11 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My original post, which was a reply, is below.  I just want to apologize to
the list for what I seem to have started.  It was NEVER my intention to even
REMOTELY suggest that drafting on public roads was an acceptible, or even a
jokingly funny, thing to do.

In my 48 years of experience I have come to realize that foolish driving on
public roads is a DEADLY undertaking.  (Pun intended.)  Thanks go to Jeff
Boatright for challenging Carl's opinion of the foolish driving techniques he
exhibits.

If you want to practice drafting, please join an organization like SCCA and
get into club racing.  You can then go as fast as you like, and people will
actually cheer.  In fact, you will receive more instruction on racing and it
will be MUCH safer than driving on public roads.  After a few races you will
see that nothing on the highway is anywhere near as challenging, and you will
start to take it easy when driving on public roads.

When you drive on the Interstate highway system you have to keep in mind that
90% of the other drivers DO NOT have your experience and driving skills, or a
car that handles as well as an LBC.  You may be able to avoid an accident, but
they probably will not.  Keep the racing on the racetrack, and you'll live
longer.  An accident doesn't have to be your fault to kill you.

Let's all try to cool our jets now, and get back to discussions about
Spridgets.  Most of us agree that the proper place to drive like a maniac is
at the track.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport