RE: Carbs

To: "'Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.'" <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: RE: Carbs
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:17:35 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
You bought a car through Alan?!?!

I hope you have a good lawyer......

Daniel T.

P.S. this is, of course, just a joke!

-----Original Message-----
From:   Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D. [SMTP:pauld@ekpc.com]
Sent:   Monday, November 02, 1998 1:14 PM
To:     spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject:        Carbs

List,

Thanks to my buddy Alan, I am the proud owner of a '59 bugeye!  No,
he didn't sell me his, he found me one in Mass.  Alan and some buds
are going to do a little work for me before I pick it up.  They
discovered that the 1&1/8 carburetors on the 948 need attention.
Should I have these rebuilt or rebuild a set of 1&1/4 from my 1275
parts car?

Peter told me that if I swap, I will also need to change the intake
manifold and re-port the 948 head.  I don't doubt that he is correct
but would like to know if I will see a significant (if any)
improvement in horsepower.

Also, is it possible to use the head on my 1275 and not re-port the
948 head?

Finally, assuming they did the job correctly, the compression in each
cylinder measured approximately 85.  Is this too low?  The PO claims
the motor was rebuilt 2&1/2 years ago.  If that is so, why is the
water pump leaking? (no need to respond to that one)

By the way, the 5-speed I pulled out of the '80 Datsun looks great.
No need to replace the synchronizers, so we replaced the front and
rear bearings on the main shaft.  They really weren't bad either.
This is going in my '66.   Just to let everyone know, Rivergate has a
new conversion kit which does NOT require the Datsun driveshaft yoke.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.
Lexington, KY