Re: Travel through NY City

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Travel through NY City
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:20:27 -0500
Cc: pauld@ekpc.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 23/11/1998  8:07:33PM,  pauld@ekpc.com writes:
>
> <<   I guess it will depend on how adventurous I
>  feel.
>   >>
> Paul,
>
> Go for the adventure and remember, If I can: drive in a 'new' country, on the
> wrong side of the road, in a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side of
> car AND no straight stick not to mention a foot pedal for a handbrake
> (parking), from Philedelphia airport to Carlise, PA you can do it.

It is hard to drive on the wrong side of the road with the stick shift
on the wrong/left side.  I drove from London to Bath and got lost in the
process.  The really hard part is to look both ways when making a right
turn.  Also it seems every village in England has at least 2 roundabouts
(traffic circles to us).  Each of these roundabouts have a minimum of 5
road coming into them.  One roundabout is well marked.  The other has no
markings at all.  The other rule is the road directly across for the road
that you entered not any more likely to be the same road than any of the other
roads entering that roundabout.  Also don't forget the tee intersections
that have a tiny circle painted in them.  My map was not correct also, so
this did not help matters.  Also I must have been in/near a military base
because their were many signs warning me of tank crossings.  Never did
see a tank, which was good, because I was busy trying to stay on my side
of the road.

Also in London it seems that some streets turn into one-way streets without
very many markings.  Add this to the fact that the direction that a car is
parked on a street is by no means an indicator of the direction of the traffic
on that same street.  Also any street can go from  2-way to one-way without
any warning.  Just a few of the gotta's of driving in England.  I find
NYC much easier, but the natives more hostile :-)

Bill Gilroy (who now has time to post since his car cannot be disassembled)
77 Midget
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com
Telephone: 732-957-4775
Fax:       732-957-4775

PS.  The beer in England is great.  The food is also very good if you avoid
any place that has a sign saying "Traditional English Food" :-)  A nice
place on the whole, the villages are pretty, and the countryside is also
very nice.  The city of Bath is worth the trip.  Stay for a day and night
if you can.