General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:12:29 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
As you all know from some recent posts, I'm toying with the idea of getting
a companion for Arioch, my '74 Midget.  This would be a restoration project
of some kind.  Through list advice, other research and some thought, I've
narrowed it down to a Bug-Eye or Spridget.  (Dropped Lotus Elan, MGB,
Spitxxxx, etc. for now)

I'm just looking for some general advice right now.  What are the
essentials before I even think about doing this?  Parts manual, Workshop
manual in addition to the Haynes I own, etc.  I've talked to my dad about
using his garage and pit and looks like he might go for my trade of labor
for space, so I'm starting to collect info.

Not sure which way I'm going to go on type of resto.  Part of me gets into
the originality thing a la "look, it could have just rolled out of the
factory".  Part of me wants to make this one a bit of a go-fast auto.  I
get the feeling I won't go to the extreme in either case, so maybe I don't
have the all original in me.  As far as go-fast goes, I don't mean that
I'll be racing it...I just mean a bit of an upgrade here and there to make
it peppier for around town.

If I go the "as close to original as possible" route, I'm thinking the
earlier the model the better.  If I go the peppy route, I'm thinking of
something around '67 or '68 so I get the 1275cc motor, but still pretty
early on.

Any advice or comments are, as always, appreciated.