UPS v US Mail

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: UPS v US Mail
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:59:59 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
        Sorry to keep this mailing question going, but I do have a few remarks
that Listers may be interested in.  If you have no interest in mailing etc.
delete now.

        I usually ship US Priority mail.  The mailing cost is little more than
regular mail, ensures prompt delivery, and they usually take a little more
care of the parcels sent this way.

        I use UPS only for items too heavy to send this way.  The usual local
driver, and his stand-in, are excellent people, and will do just about
anything for their customers.  We live way off the beaten track, and they
are the most helpful people.  However, this can't be said for the folks who
work in the larger offices.  We don't usually ship anything c.o.d.  Last
year we shipped a large item, c.o.d. at the buyers request, through UPS.
We never received his cheque.  It was deposited in UPS bank account, and it
took months to get them to refund it to us.  Because of this blunder, and
the numerous long distance telephone calls, I was eventually able to
negotiate a credit with them.  At Christmas I wanted to use some of that
credit to send a parcel to my family in England.  I learnt, yesterday, that
when the parcel arrived in the UK my family had to pay the shipping charges
of #70 sterling to receive it.  OK, another telephone call, and they are
supposed to be sending a refund cheque to my brother, but why should any of
this be necessary?

        I receive things through UPS all the time, but I try very hard not to
use
them to send, and prefer to use the Priority mail.  Items reach their
destination, and there is no confusion.

        If I have a large item, especially one that needs careful packing, I
ship
it by carrier, who injects foam into the crate they build for it.  This is
expensive, but well worth the trouble and expense, especially if the item
is being used in a concours restoration.  I sent some new Sunbeam fenders
this way, at a cost of $250.00, but well worth the money for everyone's
peace of mind.

        Just my own $0.02 cents worth.

Elizabeth Jones
Comfort, TX