Re: Dark Green/Production Change Point

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dark Green/Production Change Point
From: "Doug Ingram" <dougi@home.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:32:11 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Semantics indeed. Regardless of the date the car was registered, isn't it
appropriate to consider the year of manufacture to be the critical issue?
Car #5477 marked the change to the windscreen (although 3 earlier cars also
had the changes), and this was in October 1958. Somewhere around 3500 cars
were built from that point until the end of the year, and I think they too
legitimately should be referred to as 1958 models. Sometime  in January 1959
Leaf Green replaced Dark Green, so there were cars made in 1959 that were
originally Dark Green.

This also occurs at the other end of production of the Mk 1, which ended in
November 1960. Every time I hear of someone who says they have a 1961
Bugeye, I want to shout "There's no such thing!!"

If I had a car that was registered incorrectly, I would take the BMIHT
certificate to the motor licensing office, and insist that the error be
corrected. But hey, that's me.......

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Frogeye
AN5L/636       - Don't try telling me that my #636 ain't a 58!!