Re: 1500 engines

To: Travis G Elliott <TGElliott@infoave.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 engines
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:55:55 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
You'll get a lot of opinions on this one for sure!  heh heh

I have found that a properly maintained and properly rebuilt 1500 engine is
quite strong, powerful, and reliable.  I used to "commute" from Baltimore
to Knoxville TN round trip once a month (1100 miles), went 80+ mph and got
32MPG.  Didn't burn oil, never broke down, over the course of a year.  I
rebuilt it myself.  Very minor mods (boring .020, grinding crank .010.
That's it).  Maintenance that entire year?  Fan clutch needed replacement.

You'll hear the bottom end isn't strong.  It is if you put it together and
torque it correctly.  The bad image of the 1500 comes from people
improperly reassembling it, from my experience.  That results in a rod
being thrown through the block.  Which is why I rebuild them myself.  My
current project is being built as a road car...something to take trips in.

Other opinions will vary, but that is my personal experience.

adrian

--

J. Adrian Barnes

http://user.icx.net/~adrian/midget