Re: 1500 engines

To: adrian@icx.net, TGElliott@infoave.net
Subject: Re: 1500 engines
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 08:10:11 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Gotta go with Adrian on this one. I have a 1500 Midget that has 70K+
miles on it. I rebuilt it (myself) about 10 yrs ago, it was burning oil.
I have no complaints. It still runs about 50 psi at speed. The
compression in #3 is a little low and the check suggest I need rings.
That will have to wait for a while as the Midget is my only car, but hey
I rebuilt it once - figure I can do it again. No bttom end rattle that I
can detect, and I don't listen to that damn fan all of the time. Seems to
me the fan masks a lot of engine noise that could lead others to early
detection of an engine problem. Never knew how noisy it was until I put
an electric fan in and took the clutch fan off.

Larry

On 4/23/99 11:55 PM so and so (J. Adrian Barnes) said. (And I quote:)

>You'll get a lot of opinions on this one for sure!  heh heh
>
>I have found that a properly maintained and properly rebuilt 1500 engine is
>quite strong, powerful, and reliable.  I used to "commute" from Baltimore
>to Knoxville TN round trip once a month (1100 miles), went 80+ mph and got
>32MPG.  Didn't burn oil, never broke down, over the course of a year.  I
>rebuilt it myself.  Very minor mods (boring .020, grinding crank .010.
>That's it).  Maintenance that entire year?  Fan clutch needed replacement.
>
>You'll hear the bottom end isn't strong.  It is if you put it together and
>torque it correctly.  The bad image of the 1500 comes from people
>improperly reassembling it, from my experience.  That results in a rod
>being thrown through the block.  Which is why I rebuild them myself.  My
>current project is being built as a road car...something to take trips in.
>
>Other opinions will vary, but that is my personal experience.
>
>adrian

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.