Re: Inquiring Minds Want To Know

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Inquiring Minds Want To Know
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:40:11 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Two cars -
1/ standard spec MkII with following diversions; rib case gearbox(for
better ratios and reversing light switch), 1275 clutch (std slips in
competition), 4.5" rostyles (strength), 4.55:1 diff (for climbing hills),
extractors (came with the car), specially made high strength axles, 1.5"
lowered, 1.5 degrees neg camber, front discs and 8" rear drums (period
mods), tandem master cylinder from a late Midget (comp regs), electric fuel
pump with cutout switch (period mod), Halda and stopwatch.  This is
Angela's everyday transport which I lightly modified for Targa Tasmania and
got second in class to a Mini which was built to win.  The only trouble we
have is fuel vaporisation in heavy traffic.

2/ standard MkI with following diversions; rib case gearbox (see above), 8"
front brakes with finned aloy drums (period mod), Mk4 exhaust manifold (too
many broken flanges), 1275 clutch (see above), Halda and stopwatch,
voltmeter, uprated cable drive dynamo and control box, Morris Minor fuel
pump (period mod), 4.55:1 diff (see above).  This isn't a daily driver but
I use it on rallies (it's the sideways dirty one with the fastback hardtop
in the screensaver) and other comp events as well as touring.  The only
trouble is a dicky needle and seat in one of the carbs.  This 80,000 mile
car was found in a carport where it'd been stored under a tarp for twenty
years.  The only thing missing was the original horn which used to perish
quickly anyway.  It still retains things like the heatshield for the fuel
pump and all the boot trim.  Some of this has been put into storage to
prevent damage.

The only 'modern' things I use on both cars are Hylomar sealant (developed
in the 60's anyway) and synthetic oils in engine, gearbox and diff.  And
both cars have had an extra standard fuse box added.  The MkI has no engine
mods (it's still got original size bores, pistons and crank) and the MkII
is up to 997 Cooper spec.

It might seem they're not 'standard' standard but I tried to build them as
they would have been in their heydays.  The events I do are generally
endurance events (and Donald Healy was expert at this kind of thing) so the
cars have to be reliable and easy to drive over long distances.

Peter Westcott