Re: 72 Fuel Pump

To: Bill Miller <millerb@netusa1.net>
Subject: Re: 72 Fuel Pump
From: Scott Fisher <sefisher@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 17:32:34 -0700
Cc: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bill Miller wrote:

> Dave and list -
>
> Ok,  is my SU supposed to ever shut off??  Mine never has since I acquired
> the car.  When the key is on, this thing is always running (and somewhat
> loud)

Well, if it shuts off altogether, your car quits running.  That's when
you coast to the side of the road, get out the wire-wheel hammer, and
whang the trunk.  This un-freezes the points and you can usually go a
couple more miles before it happens again.

A properly running SU fuel pump should sound like this when you turn the
key in the ignition (but before you start the car):

TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKtickticktick... tickticktick.... ticktick...

where case signifies volume and dots signify time delay.

If your SU fuel pump ticks really fast/loud ALL the time, it may be
getting a weak diaphragm, meaning it isn't pumping out quite enough fuel
on each tick to keep up with the carbs.  Make a note of *where* the pump
is located and keep that hammer at the ready!

--Scott