Re: Bugeye rear brake upgrade and clutch problems.

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Bugeye rear brake upgrade and clutch problems.
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:18:20 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan Vandiver wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just putting the finishing touches on my bugeye restoration project, and
> have run into some issues with the rear brakes, and clutch.

I have converted a few bugeyes to later rear brakes.
It seems you either have to use the later drums or gring about 1/8 off
the inner lip of the original drums.
My current bugeye has the original drums and I grinded them off a bit
but they still rub just a touch on hard corners. They are getting better
with each hard corner though.

As for silicone, I have it in my A40 (same brakes as a Sprite with a
Mini m/cyl)
Other then the brake light switch which fails every 30 days, (pressure
switch) I have no other problems. In fact this car has the best pedal I
have ever seen in a british car.
I have changed the brake light switch to an American replacment and so
far so good.

As for the clutch, is it a competition clutch?
I also use the silicone in the clutch on the A40. Again nice pedal.
A Sprite clutch should disengage when you sneeze hard.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ