spridget down, help!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: spridget down, help!
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:02:07 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, after writing a long answer to the "Do you like your car?" question
at the cartalk site, going on and on about how reliable my Sprite has been,
it died this morning on the way to work. There is a God, and she's not
happy with me!

Anyway, the conditions are that I was cruising through a neighborhood at
about 20 mph and the car very suddenly died - no gasping, etc. Upon
inspection, I found that plenty of fuel was getting to the carbs. The
starter still turns the engine over, and in fact turns it fast enough to
register healthy oil pressure (40+). Both fuses are intact. All other
electrics work. To check whether I have spark, I turned the ignition key to
'on', pulled a plug wire, inserted a metal rod into the lead, held the rod
close to the plug tip, then cranked the engine using the remote starter
button in the engine compartment. There was no spark. I don't know if the
is the correct procedure for this test, though. One thing I did not check
is whether the rockers are moving (i.e., is the timing chain intact) by
looking into the oil fill hole while cranking the engine.

Assuming that I'm testing for spark correctly, and given that I'm getting
none at any plug, I think that either the coil or the dizzy could be at
fault. What do you think? I'm somewhat anxious to resolve this as this is
my only car.

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/