My Rear End is Howling, no joking!!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: My Rear End is Howling, no joking!!
From: Kroyell@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:20:01 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi all

I was on my way home from work with the top up (forced by rain) and was about
to go nuts from the howl coming from the rear end. It is worst when I get on
the gas and seems to mellow at about 60mph or when lifting of the gas.

What level of noise is normal?

How hard is it to change the ring and pinion, can it be done by the
"backyard" mechanic?

I have a spare rear end but can't get worked up to swap them for fear that it
will be as bad or worse.
Would I have to swap the whole thing, housing and all, or is it OK to swap
the "pumpkin" gear assembly?

Thanks for your help on this very "personal" problem.  :)

York Powell
72 Midget