Re: 1500 Tranny

To: brent.wolf@gte.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Tranny
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 21:19:27 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/9/99 9:03:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
brent.wolf@gte.net writes:

<< But while its out should I
 tear it down. >>

Brent: You may get lots of opinions on this one, including if it aint broke
dont fix it.  I am from the false economy school.  While I have it out there
are certain things I would do.  I dont think I would do a major tear down
since the engine sounds like it is strong and running pretty well, but would
do the following "freshening" maintenance items:

One is to check the clutch--if it is getting worn, I would replace it even
though for the time being it might work just fine.  It might last another
25,000 miles, but then, do you really want to pull your engine again in
25,000 miles?

Another is to replace the timing chain.  A depletable item that can really
screw up your tuning if it is stretched just a bit.  Replace the timing chain
cover oil seal.

I may replace the main and big end bearings.  They are not really expensive.
I think at minimum I would take off the Oil pan to check for metal fragments
and to clean it out and replace the gasket.  While off, you could check the
crank and rods for play--that would help you determine the health of the
mains and rod bearings.

And I would check and replace and recaulk all gaskets that are easily
replaced.

Torque all bolts and nuts to proper pressure.

Steam out the engine and tranny bay before replacing engine.

---David C.