Re: Fuel pump... and Altitude Sickness

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump... and Altitude Sickness
From: Herb_Goede@amsinc.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:29:37 -0600
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Charles,

A "richer" mixture means more fuel not more air.  The way most carbs work
is that the air flow is constant in relation to demand.  You adjust mixture
by adjusting the amount of fuel that is mixed with the air.  If the oxygen
portion of the air is lower, such as it is here in the mile high city, you
must reduce the amount of fuel added proportionally to acheive the most
efficient explosion.

Since you cannot burn as much fuel as fast at altitude (because your Oxygen
flow is limited) you have a corresponding loss in power.  We estimate about
20% in Denver compared to sea level.  When motorcycles used to run the
Pikes Peak hill climb they used a little trick.  They would set up their
carb very lean and start the race with the choke on.  About half way up
they reach down and flip off the choke to lean it out for the higher
altitude/lower O(subscript: 2).

The whole point of a turbo or super charger is to compress the air into a
smaller volume.  This way the engine can get more Oxygen and can process
more fuel.  Because the preasure acheived by a Kompressor (more accurate
German term) is the roughly the same at any altitude, Turbo and
supercharged systems are less affected by altitude changes.  I say less
because there is always some point at which these systems are not under
boost and at those points they have the same drop as non-
Turbo/Supercharged systems.  Nitrousoxide injection works the same way by
increasing the amount of O(subscript: 2) available to mix with the fuel.

Herb G.

"Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com> on 10/13/99 10:47:52 AM

Please respond to "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>