Re: Fuel pump... and Altitude Sickness

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump... and Altitude Sickness
From: Rick <rickfisk@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:43:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Charles,

Actually it's the other way around - rich means enriching the air with fuel -
lean means less fuel mixed with the air.  Normally, the air is a constant.  So
we adjust the amount of fuel mixed with the air to obtain the proper air/fuel
ratio.  Again <g> "normally" this is 14:1, 14 parts air to 1 part gasoline.  At
high altitudes the air pressure is lower so the fuel air ratio changes and
becomes rich.  We have too much gas in the mixture and have to "lean" it out to
get back to the proper air/fuel ratio.

Rick