Which AirCleaner?

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which AirCleaner?
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:43:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Been playing with the Midget in this wonderfully warm
weather. Got in from a ride today and decided to fiddle with the
SUs a little. As  I began pulling the stock air cleaners, the
idle started to rise. By the time I pulled them both, the
idle was up 200 rpm. Howcum?

This tells me, I think, that the air cleaners have been restricting
the air flow thru the carbs, right?  And the elements ain't got but a
few thousand miles on 'em. They LOOK real clean.

So ... wot's the answer? How best to improve the performance
of stock SUs? I hate to spend $200 on fancy air cleaners (K&N?).
Is there a better way?

chuck