Re: Bonnet Repair Kit??

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet Repair Kit??
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:09:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
If you can't get a repair panel for it, you might try what I did.  I removed
the aluminum trim panel from the bottom of the bonnet, then cut access holes
in the sheet metal underneath the trim.  That provided enough room to get in
there with a wire brush to remove as much loose rust as possible.  Then, I
painted two or three coats of Corroless under there and let it cure for a
week.  Finally, I covered the holes (on the bottom side with fiberglass
cloth and resin and filled and smoothed the holes on the top side with
Bondo.   To top it off, I flooded the repair area underneath with Waxoyl.
After painting with a spray can, the bonnet lasted for about 5 years without
rusting again, until I hit a deer with the car and eliminated all my good
work.   I replaced that bonnet with one from a junkyard that wasn't rusted.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain