Re: 1275cc engine questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Metallian6@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1275cc engine questions
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:21:58 -0800 (PST)
I've never seen any comparisons on 'reliability' for any of the A-series
engines, but these are 'British cars' for gosh sakes, and I don't think I've
ever seen the words 'British' and 'reliable' in the same sentence ;-)
Seriously though, I would suspect that overall the 1275 might come out more
reliable, or at least last longer between rebuilds. Since the 1275 has a lot
more torque, it doesn't have to be revved as high or as often, thus increasing
the life of the valve train bearings, etc.  Since it takes the same amount of
work to rebuild a 1098 vs a 1275, I personally would always go with the 1275
simply because after all is done, you end up with more torque and power.
As far as the Tranny goes, the 'ribcase' tranny is supposed to be much
'stronger' than the 'smooth case', and if you do go with the 1275, you should
probably use the ribcase to handle of the increase in power.
I'm sure there are other members of the list that have a lot more experience
with the various engines, and can give you 'testimonials' as to which they
prefer.

Good luck - Bryan (59-bugeye 1275 - ribcase (soon to be 5-speed))